Junta troops are continuing brutal raids on a township in Myanmar’s northern Sagaing region, arresting and killing three villagers this week, locals told RFA.
A column of around 100 troops began raiding villages in Sagaing township again on April 30, according to residents speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.
They said the column swept up the Mu River, fighting local People’s Defense Forces along the way.
They arrested civilians in three villages and killed them this week, one resident told RFA Tuesday.
“A shepherd boy who was arrested in Maung Htaung village was shot dead this morning in Ma Au Pin village. It seems that he was being held hostage,” the local said.
“Two civilians from Htein Kone and Let Pan Thar villages were shot dead yesterday.”
Last month troops beheaded a man, and burned down more than 50 homes and a Buddhist hall in Sagaing township’s Ta Pa Yin Kwe, the second raid on the village this year.
Thousands of residents have fled their villages in the township over the past month, adding to Sagaing region’s growing humanitarian crisis.
More than half a million people in Sagaing region have fled due to fighting, junta arson attacks and general insecurity since the February 2021 coup, according to independent research group Data for Myanmar.
RFA called the junta spokesperson for Sagaing region, Aye Hlaing, seeking comment on the arrest and killing of civilians in Sagaing township but no one answered.
Troops left Ma Au Pin village Tuesday morning, heading towards Myinmu township according to the villager who spoke to RFA on condition of anonymity.
Sagaing District Battalion 8 Commander De Wa told RFA two of his soldiers were killed in a two-day battle this week.
He said junta forces raided a PDF camp on Tuesday morning, taking weapons and ammunition.
Translated by RFA Burmese. Edited by Mike Firn.